I don’t understand why people are outraged at this at all. A few things have been obvious for quite a while in my view:
* Companies engage in A/B testing ALL the time, on just about everything.
* The News Feed is the core of Facebook, just like Google’s search algorithm. Small tweaks here and there can make a huge difference.
* Emotional manipulation is a core tenet of advertising, and advertising is Facebook’s lifeblood. You are the product being sold, remember?
* Of course Facebook’s non-apology resulted, they have done nothing wrong in their own view. Business is business.
* Getting angry at Facebook for selling users out (as has happened countless times before), reminds me of the frog getting stung by the scorpion, you can’t deny it’s nature.
* They know that the complaining will go away soon, and they can continue finding new ways to sell people out, because users often can’t deny their needy human nature.
Another view on leaving Facebook.